Sewer Backups

What to do if your sewer backs up:

If a sewer backup occurs in your house or building, first check to see if it backs up only when you use your facilities such as stool, tub, washer or sinks.  If so, it is a possibility that you need a plumber.  If you have sewage backing up when you have not used any of the facilities, it is a possibility that there is a blockage in the City's main.  When in doubt, call the City's Sanitary Sewer Line Maintenance Division at 352-6247 from 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.  After hours, call Police Department at 352-5400 and they will contact someone from the City's Sewer Division.

The City's Sanitary Sewer Line Maintenance Division will first check the public sewer main to determine if it is causing the sewer backup.  If the public main is operating normally, indications are that your private sewer service is the cause of the sewer backup.

If the blockage is in the private service line to the house or building, it is the responsibility of the property owner to clear the blockage.  (The private sewer service line extends from the house or building to the City's sewer main.)  There are various private firms listed in the Yellow Pages who are equipped to remove the blockage from your sewer service.

In the event that you are unable to remove your blockage, it is possible that your sewer service has collapsed.  This is true especially if your sewer was installed during the period from around 1950 through around 1970 when bituminous fiber pipe (commonly known as "Orangeburg") was installed in most residential areas.  At this point the property owner may require the services of a qualified contractor to repair or replace your sewer service.

Welcome to Waverly. Great schools. Diverse housing options. Robust job market. Top-flight indoor rec center. Outdoor recreation adventures of all kinds. Prestigious Wartburg College. And a safe and welcoming community of people who value the good life in a beautiful place.