Waverly Historic Register
NOTE: Nominations are continually being accepted for the Waverly Historic Register.
This program recognizes properties or sites in the community that are significant in terms of history or architecture. Placement on the historic register requires the following criteria be met:
- The site is associated with an event or events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history--Waverly's, Bremer County's, Iowa's or the nation's.
- The site is associated with the lives of persons significant in Waverly's past.
- The site embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or that represents the work of a master, or that possesses high artistic values, or that represents a significant and distinguishable entity despite components which lack individual distinction.
- The site has yielded, or may be likely to yield, information important in this area's prehistory or history.
- The site is a natural feature significant in Waverly's past.
A property may be nominated by the owner, a member of the Commission, or any Waverly resident. The Waverly Historic Preservation Commission determines if a nominated property will be placed on the Waverly Historic Register. Properties will not be placed on the Register without the permission of the property owner.
Placement on the Waverly Historic Register entitles the property owner to display on the property a plaque or sign indicating its status. The Commission is not responsible for the costs associated with the plaque or sign.
Nominations become public documents in the files of the Waverly Historic Preservation Commission. The Commission may also deposit copies of them at the Waverly Public Library.
- 2007 - Bremer County Courthouse 415 E Bremer Ave
- 2007 - “Old Main” located on Wartburg College Campus
- 2007 - Bremer County Historical Society Museum 402 W. Bremer Ave
- 2009 - Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church 112 2nd Street NW
- 2009 - Kuethe Home 204 4th St. SW
- 2009 - Ira Sturdevant Home 502 1st St. SW
- 2009 - Rail Trail Bridge (crosses the Cedar River north of the dam)
- 2017 - First Baptist Church 201 3rd St SW
- 2020 - Crosspoint Church (formerly Waverly High School/Waverly-Shell Rock Junior High School)