City Code allows a residential fence no taller than three (3) feet in the front yard and no taller than six (6) feet in the side and rear yards. Homeowners are to apply for a fence permit, and allow the Community Development Office to review and approve prior to construction of any fence. There is no fee for a fence permit application.
Fence Permit Application
- A corner lot may have two front yards. Any fence located between the house and curb may be required to be no taller than three (3) feet, depending on how the home is situated on the lot.
- For non-residential applications, there is no height requirement.
- The fence permit process involves supplying the Community Development Office with a dimensioned plot plan, showing the proposed fence location, the height of the proposed fence and any easements on the property. Staff will review the proposed fence location and proximity to any City services and any recorded easements, which need to be observed.
- There is no fee for fence permit review.
- Applicants are to call Iowa One Call at 1-800-292-8989 prior to contacting the City so that underground utilities may be marked and a better fence layout may be proposed. For further information, contact the Community Development Office.