PetSafe® Off-Leash Dog Park
The Waverly PetSafe® Off-Leash Dog Park is located in southeast Waverly near 8th Street SE and 17th Ave SE.
Watch for events at the Bark Park throughout the year!
Dog Park Rules
The Waverly Bark Park rules are in place to protect all users, canine and human. They are also posted at the dog park.
The most important rule is to have your dog immunized. The State of Iowa requires rabies and distemper shots for all dogs. We highly recommend Bordetella and a fecal screen on a regular basis. This will protect your dog as well as other users of the park.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months old to use the park. Dogs in heat should not use the park.
- Humans must be 8 years of age to enter the park and 15 years of age to bring a dog to the park. Dogs and younger children can’t be supervised adequately at the same time. When in the facility, humans must control their dogs at all times.
- Owners are responsible for picking up after their dogs. Failure to do so could result in a fine and loss of the privilege to use the facility. Dog bags are available at the park or bring a grocery bag when you visit the park.
- Dog treats and human food should not be brought into the park. Give your dog a treat after the visit.
Safety is important to all users of the Waverly Bark Park, human and canine. Remember to have all your shots up to date, be of age to enter the dog park, and to always pick up after yourself.
For additional information, call Waverly Leisure Services Dept. at 352-6263.
If you experience an aggressive dog at the dog park, please first try to address the issue with the dog owner. If further action is necessary please contact the Waverly Police Department at 319-352-5400. The Leisure Services office does not handle aggressive dog complaints.
Dog Obedience Classes
Because the Monday evening class filled up so quickly, the Waverly Leisure Services Department will be offering a 2nd group of Dog Obedience classes at the Waverly Bark Park starting Tuesday, May 4, 2021. The 2nd class will meet on Tuesdays at 6:00 pm and will be 1-hour long for 6 weeks. This class is also limited to 6 people. Participants must register in advance to join the class. The deadline to register is April 26, 2021.
The cost of the class is $140 with a $20 discount for those that register a rescue dog. Joshua Smith, the instructor, is a graduate of the American Behavior College and the accreditation training program for dogs through PetSmart, Inc.
All dogs must be current on vaccinations including Rabies, Distemper/Parvo and Bordatella and free from visible infections, parasites, and communicable diseases. Proof of vaccination should be in the form of a receipt or other official document from a licensed veterinarian. If you have recently adopted your dog from a local shelter, please note that and we can obtain health records directly from the shelter.
Bring to Class:
- Non-retractable 4’-6’ leash
- Buckle collar or harness (no pinch, choke, or corrective collars allowed)
- Soft treats
- Rug, mat, or blanket with their scent on it
- Favorite toy
Registration, completion of forms, and payment of fees is at Waverly Leisure Services in City Hall, 200 1st Street NE.
For additional information call Waverly Leisure Services Dept. at 352-6263.