Now Hiring for a Leisure Services Office Coordinator
Type of Employment: Full-time
Job Description: Coordinates office support for the Leisure Services Department. Relieves the Director of routine administrative and business detail; supports the Supervisors of the various Divisions, including Parks, Vegetation Management Cemetery, Golf Course, Pro Shop, Swimming Pool, and Civic Center.
• Types materials for Leisure Services Department; composes and types letters as Director needs; composes and types letters on non-technical matters; makes copies and distributes originals; maintains file copies. Drafts official documents such as cemetery deeds, leases, certified letters, public notices, minutes, etc.
• Manages reservation calendars for the Civic Center, Athletic Fields, and Park Shelters. Including in-person permits and reservations.
• Screens/directs incoming phone calls, answers ready reference questions, and sorts mail.
• Designs and maintains spreadsheets and text documents such as letters, reports, bid documents, etc.
• Updates department website content.
• Processes purchase orders and check requests for department invoices and makes deposits. Issues tax exempt certificates and collects W-9 forms as needed for accounting department.
• Maintains file records for all Leisure Services departments.
• Verifies timesheets for all Leisure Services seasonal and permanent employees.
• Collects and processes employment forms for all department employees.
• Assists Director with equipment and construction bid process. Distributes plans and specs; assists with bid opening, prepares follow-up correspondence.
• Assists in drafting an annual Administration budget for Leisure Services and oversees its implementation.
• Assists department supervisors with annual report preparation.
• Assists Director in preparing agendas and minutes for department meetings. Updates City Civic Web site with meeting materials.
• Assists the Leisure Services Commission and Golf Course Commission with sending out agendas and posting minutes online.
• Receives and records nuisance complaints. Issues service requests to Parks and Vegetation Management departments.
• Issues Tree Services Licenses and collects necessary insurance forms.
• Prepares news releases for projects and events as needed.
• Assists Trees Forever with annual tree sales and rebates. Prepares fliers, news releases, and all correspondence.
• Issues Community Garden contracts and payments.
• Research and grant writing for department supervisors. Completes follow-up reports for grants received.
• Assists Director with pool opening and closing procedures. Assists with oversight of pool and concessions staff.
• Sells Cemetery lots and completes all documentation involved in the process.
• Keeps all Cemetery records and online database up to date and organized.
• Provides assistance in back-up and coverage for office matters of Planning & Zoning, Community & Economic Development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, able to organize paper and digital files, able to supervise, able to conduct oneself professionally in front of the public, able to write/communicate in proper English.
• Must have the ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize workload in a timely and effective manner.
• Be able to communicate effectively using both written and oral methods.
Education and Experience
• College Degree in related field and two years of job-related experience is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Iowa driver’s license.
• Must attain Certified Pool Operator Certification and Food Protection Certification within 6 months of employment.
Physical, Mental, and Visual Effort
• Typical office setting, hours spent sitting at a computer desk, ability to lift 10 lbs.,
• Must be able to handle stress from dealing with the public or deadlines.
Applications are available online at the link below, or at the Leisure Services Office at 200 1st St. NE, Waverly, IA 50677, office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. For more information and a listing of seasonal job openings, come into City Hall or contact the Leisure Services Department at 319-352-6263.