Garbage pick-up is once a week for City of Waverly residents (or every other week for those choosing the low-volume option). The attached map shows which days garbage gets picked up in specific sections of Waverly. If you are unsure as to your garbage pick-up day, call 352-6247 or 352-9065. The garbage trucks start collection at 7:00 a.m. each day. Your garbage is to be out by this time.
Route map for garbage & curbside recycling.
City-Owned Garbage Containers
- The City offers 3 levels of garbage collection to choose from (no tags required):
35-gallon container (50 lb. weight restriction) $15.90 per month - Emptied Weekly
65-gallon container (95 lb. weight restriction) $24.10 per month - Emptied Weekly
35-gallon container w/ yellow lid (50 lb. weight restriction) $12.80 per month
- Emptied Every Other Week on your curbside recycling day. It can be placed out on an "off" Curbside Recycling week, but then requires a garbage tag on top item in can.
- Place your garbage is disposable plastic bags inside your container to prevent the scattering of loose debris by wind and to keep the inside of the container clean.
- No bags of garbage are to be placed on top of the container and lids must be fully closed. Any extra bags of garbage that are placed outside of the container will require a garbage tag. Extra Bags. . . .Extra Tags!
- Garbage Tags for Extra Garbage can be purchased for $2.00 each at the following locations:
- Casey's General Store, 1312 West Bremer Avenue
- City Hall, 200 1st Street NE
- Fareway, 222 West Bremer Avenue
- HyVee, 1311 4th Street SW
- Kwik Star (East), 400 East Bremer Avenue
- Kwik Star (West), 500 West Bremer Avenue
- Kwik Star (South), 2501 4th Street SW
- If you wish to exchange your container for a different size or change of service, call Public Services at 352-6247. There is one courtesy exchange free of charge. The fee for all subsequent changes is $25.00.
- Any lost or stolen containers, or damage caused by neglect (such as a vehicle striking the container), is the responsibility of the account holder, who shall be charged the replacement cost of the container plus handling and administration fees. The City shall repair or replace containers experiencing normal wear and tear.
2018 Calendar for:
- Garbage Container w/Yellow Lid Schedule
- Curbside Recycling Schedule
- City Holidays
Placement of Garbage
- At street cub next to your driveway or
- In alley, if your property has an alley
(Call Public Services at 352-6247 if you are not sure where your garbage should be placed.) Place the container on a level surface within 18 inches of the curb, with the short metal bar facing the street. Keep the container away from parked vehicles and a least 6 feet away from permanent structures such as mailboxes, utility poles, walls, lampposts, etc. Consider using the flared section of your driveway approach if obstacles prevent placement elsewhere along the parking.
The City strongly encourages all citizens of Waverly to continue to recycle as much as possible.
Disposal of Old Drugs & Needles
Old or unused drugs should not be put in the garbage or flushed down the toilet. These drugs then end up in Iowa's ground water and rivers. Also, sharps and needles should not be placed in your garbage, as this is a serious danger to the garbage collectors and landfill operators. For proper disposal of old drugs & needles, please visit: HyVee Pharmacy (352-2021), Meyer Pharmacy (352-3120), Walgreen Pharmacy (352-4257), Wal-Mart Pharmacy (352-2735) or Waverly Health Center's Center Pharmacy (483-4100).
Illegal Disposal of Garbage
It is illegal to dump garbage on other property or to dispose of your garbage in a dumpster which is rented by someone else.