About the Chamber
The Waverly Chamber of Commerce and Main Street program provides opportunities for:
- Member Connectivity
- Business Loyalty
- Community Awareness
Founded in 1937, the Waverly Chamber of Commerce is a volunteer-driven organization that today encompasses all functions of the Chamber of Commerce, Waverly Main Street Program, and Tourism. The Chamber's success is made possible through the financial commitment and tireless dedication of hundreds of businesses and individuals working to strengthen the economic vitality and standard of living in the Waverly area. The Waverly Chamber is a long time member of the US Chamber of Commerce and at one time was an accredidated organization through the US Chamber.
The Waverly Chamber of Commerce and Main Street program develops and sustains dynamic, progressive programs supporting the economic and business environment to provide a quality experience for residents and visitors to our community and historic downtown district.
Waverly, a college river town with rich heritage and historic downtown district is a steadily expanding city, characterized by united community spirit. The Waverly Chamber of Commerce and Main Street program share the common vision of the City of Waverly to become a destination town. The next levels of transition from a “good reputation town” to a “destination community” depend on first evolving, and second, articulating an attractive identity, along with elevating our own rich culture.
This beckons simultaneous effort, with the Waverly Chamber of Commerce to address and/or market:
- Making Waverly a welcoming place for new businesses and visitors, as well as building the feeling of pride, appreciation and unity of existing businesses and individuals.
- Recruiting and retaining business and individual Waverly investors, seeking engagement and total buy-in of our community-wide efforts.
- Enhancing retail opportunities and needs in all thriving business districts, including one with the distinction of being recognized by Main Street Iowa since 1986.
- Economic development with efforts to retain and recruit business & industry.
- New and creative housing alternatives by redevelopment in our business districts.
- A continued development of quality of life and tourism, including community celebration of the Waverly/Wartburg bond that elevates everyone.
The purpose of the organization is to advance the commercial, industrial, civic, and general interests of the city of Waverly and its trade areas. The organization serves a variety of communities within the Waverly area. A five-point approach will be maintained as the basis for policy development, implementation, and evaluation within the organization.
The five points are:
- Business Development
- Design & Beautification
- Membership Relations
All areas of the five points have committees and committee chairs.
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 the Waverly Chamber and Main Street board of directors voted unanimously to approve amendments to the organization's governing bylaws. To review the recently changed bylaws CLICK HERE
This is a restored video from a 16mm film unearthed in an old storage box when the Waverly Chamber was moving their offices in 1993. It was filmed in 1959 and released in 1961. It has an original music score with narration and is an incredible snapshot of Waverly, Iowa and the citizens who helped build the town we know and love today.