To be eligible, a property must be at least fifty years old and within Waverly's city limits. The property may be used for either residential purposes or non-residential purposes. The award may be given either in recognition of work undertaken in the last three years or of a long-standing commitment to preservation. Private residences are judged on the basis of exterior appearance only.
The awards will be made using one or more of the following criteria:
1. Building improvements made with regard to sensitive restoration or original design (including, for example, removal of contemporary materials that compromised the original architectural intent).
2. New addition in keeping with the original structure and setting.
3. Adaptive reuse of a building that preserves the original architectural character.
4. Historic paint color scheme.
5. Historic landscape design, which displays an effort to preserve the original landscape character and setting of a building.
The public is invited to nominate properties for the Waverly Historic Preservation Awards. People may nominate their own properties. Winners will be determined by the Waverly Historic Preservation Commission.